Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I'm BAAAAAAAAAAACK

So...I decided to take about 10 months off and regain all the weight I'd previously lost on WW. Ouch.
BUT--Now I'm back. I'm ready, and I'm committed, because in recent memory, I've experienced having lost weight and I felt a lot better about myself, my life and everything. I had a friend in high school who liked to conclude every day with, "Well, I'd like to think we made a difference today," in homage to every ridiculous movie ever made. When I eat right, I feel my own sense of self-righteousness that helps take the bitter sting out of not eating everything I want whenever I want it.
So...after my first week, I lost 2 pounds!! Go me!! (people also said I looked like I had lost weight)--who knew that losing 1/100th of your weight could be so rewarding?!
Right now I have an ingrown toenail. When I was little, I feel like I always heard about people dying from their ingrown toenails. And now I understand exactly how that could happen.
My husband and I worked out our budget last night. I also understand how people could die from that, too. But, we have our goals clearly in line now, and despite the terror I feel about my jobless situation and everything, it's better to have control over what little you have then just have your mind go blank in sheer terror when you think about it.
Anyway, with my ingrown toenail--I soaked a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and then shoved a bunch of it between the offending toenail and my super-sensitive toe skin. I hope that will ease the drama a little bit, though it's still surprisingly painful.
I talked to a friend today about how growing up is the pits. At some point, the problems that result from your own lack of self control are just your own problems, and can't be blamed on anyone else. When we would go on trips I would think how I never wanted to grow up because my parents would do all the packing and cleaning up before and after the trip--with a little bit of our "help" of course, even when we were all so worn out from traveling and having fun. Some lingering vestige of that feeling might explain why it took me a week to clean up after Christmas dinner.
Anyway, today I've done the dishes, worked on cleaning up the house a bit, have been looking at jobs to apply to, have made decisions to improve our financial stability, tracked everything I've eaten so far, had three servings of fruits and vegetables by lunch and crudely attempted to treat my own ingrown toenail. And now I'm taking the dog for a walk. Well, I'd like to think I made a difference today...

No comments:

Post a Comment