Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pre-Weigh in Jitters

Today my scale broke. Not in the sense that I was too big for it and it exploded, crushed to tiny smithereens by my immense bulk, which would have been moderately awesome, but instead I think it was resting on a tiny plastic ball from one of my dog's much abused toys. I moved it and things went back to where they should be. It was pleasant enough while it lasted though, because when I first stepped on, I had "lost" approximately 13lbs from last week. And because I was skeptical of that result, I stepped on again after it reset, and I had "lost" approximately 37lbs from last week. I was actually kind of bummed out by this point because I knew I hadn't really lost a leg and an arm over the past week, and it's important to me to at least have a reliable reading from week to week, even if it's not really accurate relative to all the other scales (I can't remember if I've said this before, but this scale displays your weight at about 5-7lbs heavier than doctor's office scales--the best scale is the wii fit, which shaves off 5-7lbs from doctor's office scales. I'm using the heavier-reading one this time around because it's the easiest of the three to set up and use. Despite being heavier, it has good test-retest reliability and, unlike the wii fit, will not zap my little cartoon mii with fatness and make it sad at the end of every weigh-in).
Oh, I want to mention at this point that I don't really think I have immense bulk or could smash scales or anything--though probably a kitchen scale wouldn't stand much of a chance (the ones I've shopped for only go up to about 12lbs).
So...the moral of the story is that the scale is back to reading approximately what it usually reads when I stand on it (actually, this week it weighs a little less but tomorrow's the final weigh-in so I'd better not jump the gun).
The bigger story this week is the failed cleanse. My husband and I decided to do this cleanse because we thought it would be a fun challenge. It's a 21-day challenge. The first week, you could eat fruit, vegetables and three 1/2 cup servings of brown rice, wild rice or lentils a day. The second, you added some lean protein, and the third, I can't remember what happened. Anyway, so day one we start--I'd done a lot of prep work the night before--but my husband ate a donut first thing in the morning . He did it again on day 2, and on day 3 he ate two donuts.
Ultimately, we abandoned the cleanse because I was sooo hungry all the time and I knew that I was losing weight too fast. I didn't want to go into starvation mode and pack on a ton of weight as soon as the cleanse was over. It was also the kind of restrictive diet that would make me fail. If I want to have ice cream, radishes are not a good substitute--I need to have a diet with some flexibility. Eat a little ice cream now, but make up for it by eating more vegetables and fewer calories later. It's one of the things I like so much about WW. There's nothing that's off-limits on WW, but the program trains you to work within the real world and make good choices despite all the pressures you normally face that would make you emotionally eat. For weight loss to be successful, you need to work within your regular life and make a fundamental lifestyle change. It's not just "be good for a couple of months and then do whatever you want when you're skinny," but maintaining a healthy and happy lifestyle.
But--the cleanse has brought a lot more vegetables into our diet, which is something to be grateful for.
Back to the title of the post: I get nervous before my weigh ins. I want to know NOW what I will weigh tomorrow. I usually have a rule that there can be only one weigh-in per week, but I've broken that a bit lately. I don't want to become obsessed with the number--so I need to get more firm about that. There's a lot more to life than worrying about the number, so I should let it go and concentrate on feeling better and better!

No comments:

Post a Comment