Friday, August 27, 2010

A new beginning!!

Goal: 30 points
Actual: 30 points!!

Note to self: don't try to make up all of the remaining points at the end of the day by binging at the end. It makes your tummy sad. a lot.

Tomorrow I get my elliptical machine!!

I've also entered into a "Biggest Loser" Competish. Though I'm not super-comfortable with the premise of biggest loser, which is to lose an unhealthy amount of weight at a time through shame and overstrenuous exercise. Real weight loss is slow. It's still painful, but mainly for the impatient. You win when you lose the bigest proportion of weight. Which means that if a hundred pound person lost 10lbs (it's late and I can't think of a more plausible and healthy scenario) they would lose 10%, but for a person that weighs 200lbs, the same loss is just 5%--but it's a much bigger deal for the heavier person because they have to overcome bad habits like stress eating, in order to do it. Having made it this far, I can honestly say it's a miracle that anyone can lose weight. It's hard. It's frustrating. The worst part for me is that no one ever says anything, like "ooh! you've lost weight!" or anything like that. I wonder if it made a difference at all.

Anyway, my point is that slow and steady weight loss is better than a cycle of binges and purges, which is what you get when you try to lose weight too quickly. Do I want to set myself up for that? I don't want to lose the "biggest loser" competition because I lose weight too slowly and must obviously be lazy or stupid or something--simply because I'm trying to take the more lasting route.

No comments:

Post a Comment