Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Happy Sad Singing Dancing Friends

Let's just say today was HOT. I've lived in Ohio for almost 6 years and I still can't believe how horribly hot humidity can make you feel. In an effort to conserve energy, I turned off the A/C while I began packing up for our big move. This was a mistake. 20 minutes in, my soul died. I had a headache, my dog had used our bedroom as her bathroom, the cherry coke zero that had seemed so refreshing earlier in the day seemed to be eating my stomach lining.
The old standby for depression seemed pretty tempting. If I could just eat a whole batch of cookie dough, I'm was sure I would feel much better.
But earlier today I went to a dance performance by my Big Brothers Big Sisters little sister Cameron (schools from around the city partner with BalletMet and send their fifth graders to dance class for eight months, after which they put on a show in one of the big professional theatres. (though technically the theatre wasn't that big)). Their performance was entitled, "Dancing Down the Road to Good Health." There were kids of all colors, shapes and sizes throughout the performance. I was so proud of Cameron, but I was also just in awe of the bravery of some of the kids who, unlike Cameron, were overweight. Some of these kids were quite a bit bigger than their classmates, and, dancing in a program about being healthy and fit had to be kind of awkward for them. But their presence reminded me that fitness is not about what size or shape you are, but how you feel about yourself. I can think of a number of people who are overweight, but eat healthy foods, get a lot of sleep and exercise. I can think of a number of skinny minis who have disastrous diets, don't exercise, and stay up all night on a regular basis.
Anyway, I had hoped to post a link to the show, which was recorded, and should be televised, but I can't find it right now--so I'll try to post it later.
Even with this good example, I was still feeling just a little down. (and by a little I mean a lot). I haven't been exercising like I should, and I just feel bummed out and like napping all the time. I was not enjoying being around myself. My dog insisted on going out, despite having just soiled the floor, and I took her out. My husband had said over the phone that maybe a cleansing walk was what I needed. Turns out you can't be cleansed when going outside is like entering a swamp on the sun. But, going outside does provide an opportunity to get the mail. I had forgotten that my childhood best friend (I still consider her one of my best friends, but I wanted to emphasize that she's been around the longest) was sending me something in the mail. I opened the mail box and there was a filthy package inside. It looked like it had been run over by a car--which given our past experiences with the mail service here, may well be true. All the other mail in the box had dirt on it from being next to the package. Luckily the contents were intact. An awesome shower curtain (in homage to the film 'Psycho') and a great mix cd inspired by yours truly were enclosed. The thing that really changed my day was the note written on the cd. It made me feel so loved. It came right at the exact right moment to change my outlook. Thanks, Esther!

It looks just like a big tire ran all the way over it. the incompetence of my post office has besmirched the first birthday card of the season, too. (from the dentist)

Anyway, today I've been listening (over and over and over) to "I Dreamed a Dream" as sung on Glee by Idina Menzel and Lea Michele. I really, really like the arrangement, especially the drama of the last stanza " I had a dream my life would be, so different from this hell I'm living, so different now from what it seemed." That duet is amazing. Listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7fWz4WBNs4 and then buy it from iTunes. and then listen to it and sing along until you pass out.
Below is my dramatic reenactment of how I felt today: (also I think that dramatic should be spelled with two "m"s because it is more drammmmmatic!)


after the tigers with voices soft as thunder tore my hope apart

let's face it--there's no happy part in that song
BUT: super fun teaser: I will put my first singing recording on the blog as a reward for me getting to 185lbs. (which I'm not at yet--but be patient). Unfortunately, you don't get a reward. Sorry.
also, that's not a weird bobble in my hair right in the center. It is
Christopher Robin's head from our Winnie the Pooh calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment