Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Delicious Healthy Pizza

roma tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, green peppers, cheese, thin crust!!
5 Points/piece!

Healthy pizza sounds like an oxymoron, but I had some today! I got a thin crust garden pizza. It was delicious! Tragically, you still can't eat as much as you want, but it's still pretty satisfying.
I'm watching a show called "Tin Man" on Netflix. It is truly not that good a show--the acting is a little questionable, the plot is bothersome and the special effects leave something to be desired--but I can't stop watching it. I love it! The only thing getting in the way of my enjoyment is that the bad guy (not the Wicked Witch, but her henchman, looks like Daniel Craig in his hottest moments--so I can't root against him.
It's like Billy Zane on Titanic. Yeah, I know he's SUPPOSED to be bad, but you know that with a face like that, he's not really bad....
Getting back on track, another lower-point meal I've enjoyed recently is grilled cheese sandwiches--not really grilled, just bread and cheese put in a sandwich maker and cooked. There's no added fat, but a lot of good flavor. They're not super-filling though. I'll have to keep working on it.
I read a news article the other day--it was a celebrity gossip article, actually (if food can't be my vice anymore, this will have to do). It talked about the "crazy" diet Jennifer Aniston and friends had during the run of Friends. Apparently every day for lunch they had a modified cobb salad with garbonzo beans and turkey bacon. That's totally insane! Who can imagine eating such a ridiculous meal??!!
In a world where we celebrate those ridiculous lemon and cayenne pepper cleanses, we think it's weird to modify foods to be delicious and healthy. Just another reason not to read those stupid little magazines...
Anyway, I've decided to keep enjoying the things I've always enjoyed, but just healthy them up a bit. Like the pizza! We've come full circle. Hard as things are, there's always something to enjoy. Now I have to go enjoy a bunch of packing--goal is 20 boxes today. Give me strength!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Anne, I keep wanting to comment your posts, but I read your blog on google reader and I never take the time to actually click into your blog. But I'm here now. So this is what I wanted to say to this particular post:

    I am trying the vegan thing this month and because I love food as much as you do, I had to find ways to be able to eat yummy things but "healthier." I've been working a lot lately, so I'm not actually the one cooking most of my meals, which means I can't give you recipes, but the cooks at my work are all super helpful and make me vegan food all the time. I'm not sure how the point system works exactly, but by what you've been describing, it seems like you can basically eat all the fruits and veggies you want? Anyway, what I'm getting at is this list of absolutely delicious, filling food that may help shave some points off your meals:

    Thin-crust veggie pizza: leave the cheese off and instead add spinach, carmelized onions, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, olives, and some crushed red pepper.

    Veggie wrap: basically a salad with onions, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and mushrooms all wrapped up in a tortilla. I don't dress mine, I just add some salt, but even if you put just a little bit of balsamic vinaigrette or something it'll go a long way inside a wrap. I also add avocados, but I know those are high in fat so I'm not sure how they rank on your point system

    Pasta with homemade tomato sauce: I made this yesterday and it was delicious. Basically just put a little bit of olive oil in a pan along with onions, garlic and tomatoes until they get soft. Add salt to taste and then just blend it all together.

    Also, think about switching over to light soy milk. It takes a little getting used to, but it has less calories than skim milk, no cholesterol, less sodium, and more vitamins. I'd go with 8th Continent light vanilla or Silk light vanilla. Especially if you mostly just use milk for cereal, and you're probably staying away from sugary cereals, you'll hardly notice the difference and it'll make your cereal sweeter.

    I'm not trying to convert you to veganism here, but I'm finding out that some of the food "these people" eat is really delicious as well as healthy.

    I wish I lived over there so we could cook together.

    ReplyDelete