Monday, June 14, 2010

TOO FUUULLLL


this picture is irrelevant but is by way of apology for the gruesome bunny pictures/story.
about a year ago, we raised baby duckies. we taught them to swim in the bathtub. actually we threw them in and hoped nature would do the rest--it did. this is a rare moment when all 7 were together with their heads above water. they loved to dive and swim as fast as they could along the contours of the bottom of the tub. now they're living in a farm near Mansfield on a farm that has a little stream and pond next door for them to play in.

My biggest weakness weight-loss wise has got to be this horrible sweet tooth. I think I'd like to have it pulled. It drives me to do silly things like eat a bunch of ice cream or a piece of cake, and though it seems like a good idea at the time, I just feel awful after. Not guilty (most of the time)--but just sicky.
My husband told me about this study where they took women who overeat and those who didn't and then showed them pictures of food. Women who overate had higher levels of brain stimulation while looking at the pictures than women who didn't. BUT, women who overate had lower levels of brain stimulation when actually eating the foods than women who don't overeat. The message of this study is that people who overeat do so because they feel a great sense of anticipation and pleasure thinking about foods to eat, but when they actually eat those foods they don't feel as fulfilled as they thought they would--driving them to eat more in search of a "perfect high."
This really resonated with me. (I'll try to get him to tell me more specifics so I can link to the study here.) I crave cake or ice cream, or even just some other delicious food that's not so unhealthy, and I expect to feel satisfied, but even as I'm eating, I picture the next meal with anticipation that gives me greater satisfaction than merely enjoying what I'm already eating.
One of my big challenges in trying to lose weight is reminding myself that I need to live "in the moment" food-wise. I should enjoy food while I have it--I don't need to eat too much, because there's an abundance of food and it's not going to be days until my next meal. I can savor what I have and listen to my body indicate that it has had enough. That's the hardest part, to actually "hear" what my body is saying, when my compulsions are screaming "more! more! more! more!"
Anyway, it's another post-period week, so I'm starving all the time. Except when I eat junk food and then feel awful. For this week, my goal is to embrace a fiber-ful lifestyle. Fiber fills you up and doesn't consume many points, so that you can basically eat as much as you want (and feel really full before you can eat too much).
But for now, I've used up all my points and am waiting for this unfortunate feeling of simultaneous super-hunger and icky fullness to pass.... nothing a good sleep can't cure--unfortunately, I'm always thinking about my morning cereal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment