Friday, June 11, 2010

The Things that Get in the Way

Yesterday I wanted to write, but I found I just couldn't....
The distraction didn't have a name--just a random wild baby bunny that just happened to live outside my house, and who just happened to be attacked by a dog.
To make a long story short, I tried to help him, but I couldn't. I left him near his family nest to die.
the bunny's legs were basically severed. it lost a lot of blood. but I still wanted to help.

I returned to look at the nest today. It's right outside my house. It looks like all the baby bunnies are dead. I couldn't get too close, but I could see bugs crawling on the babies. I don't know if the mom stopped feeding them after being scared away by the dog or what, but I feel so frustrated that I couldn't get in the way of nature taking its course. There were things I could have done differently. I should have done differently. I should have called the humane society. The vet was closed. I don't think that the baby could survive, and I figured that familiar circumstances were better than being gassed by strange humans.
The point of this is, these types of things throw you off. They spin you out of control, and you don't know how to care about stupid things like weight loss. I know it's just a baby bunny, but our lives are made up of little issues that gum up the works. I still feel so bad. I feel like it's not worth even talking about my issues at this point. I feel sick. Did I sabotage the bunnies? Did I bring a bunch of disease-causing deer ticks into our house? What was I thinking?
They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I feel like Satan's personal asphalt-layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment